Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hmmmm....what do you think?


So...I have been evaluating my weight loss efforts a lot lately and wanted to post a question...do you think it is easier or harder to lose weight in the summer?

My mind would normally tell me that it should be easier because the weather is nice and I am excited to be outside and be more active and because I have an intense desire to look better in less clothing (i.e. the dreaded swimming suit).

However, as I was evaluating the past couple of years and my weight loss tracking sheets, I have noticed that I have lost a lot more weight and lose it more consistently during the winter months. Hmmm....very interesting. As I am looking at my food trackers, it looks like I have a harder time eating healthy in the summer, which is really strange because of all of the fresh fruit and grilling opportunities for healthier food choices.

What do you think? And...does anyone have any ideas for what could help me out?

4 comments:

  1. I would have thought Summer for the same reasons - the grilling, the nice weather for outside exercise, the smaller amount of clothing as motivator, etc...

    Perhaps try focusing on finding some recipes you like that revolve around in season fruits & veggies or grilling (or both!) to make the most of summer?

    I've been trying to get my 6 y/o to try new things so we pick something brand new to her from the farmer's market every month. We go home & search the internet for a recipe we can agree upon & go from there.
    Not only are we expanding our food selection, but we're enjoying the foods of the season.
    Maybe something like this would rev your interest?

    Best of luck with the rest of summer. You'll have to tell me your secret for sucess in winter. I have trouble staying motivated with the gray skies, cold weather & bulky comfy clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I always retain more water in the summer, and spend those months feeling rather puffy. This leads to less motivation in general. Also, the heat makes me less apt to eat like I normally do, and I find myself grazing a lot more(even on healthy foods). As a result, I probably end up eating more calories than I do in the cooler months when I am eating my 3 a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, winter is the hardest.

    I agree, I think you should figure out what your favorite fruits and vegetables are and then find recipes to use them in. I like Zuchinni, but I thought the only way you could eat zuchinni was fried or in bread! This summer, I've make so many things with zuchinni. Lasagana, lasagna rolls, grilled zuchinni. There are tons of ways to incorporate your veggies into your dishes.

    And drink lots of water in the summer. Which I'm sure you know that and do.

    I wish I didn't have winter problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I have recommitted myself (for the umpteenth time) and am looking forward to enjoying the summer and NOT letting it derail my weight loss efforts.

    ReplyDelete