Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Enjoying the moment

I am so grateful to have so many good friends in my life. This past weekend I went with a few friends to a cabin in the beautiful Utah mountains near my home. The one other girl who was there has also has had a struggle with her weight for her entire life. It is amazing how that one common thread can unite two people and how you can understand each other like nobody else can. Because I grew up with so many thin family members and friends, I often felt like I was living alone on an island and was the only member of my race still in existence. So, of course, we talked about weight and all of the baggage that comes with the battle of the bulge.

The interesting thing is that even though she is probably only 30 pounds away from her goal weight now, she still has "fat" thoughts...meaning she still has the same insecurities, she still thinks of herself as being heavier and is sometimes surprised and doesn't recognize herself in a mirror. It made me realize (yet again) what a mental and psychological struggle weight really is. Every morning when I look in the mirror my only thought is how far AWAY from my goal I really am instead of how far I have COME. It made me realize that I need to enjoy the moment. I need to remember all of my blessings and appreciate where I am in my current journey. I got out a bunch of pictures of myself over the past several years and was shocked (yet again) at how different I look and how proud I can be with myself and the 73 pounds I have lost.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 70 down! That's FANTASTIC! And I agree with you, a lot of this is in our minds. Have a happy wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced that 70% of this battle is mindset, not eating or exercise. Without a good mindset, you will not eat well or get on that treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weight loss is never easy regardless of of where you started or where you're at. I've struggled with mine for about 15 years now and am hoping to lose 40 more lbs.

    Sounds like you've done great, despite your set back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you on such a big loss! I know it's so much about how we think - mind patterns are the most of it all. Really tricky to keep going - but you have alot of us rooting for you out here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to HYC. A great community of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the HYC! Great point....so often we focus on where we have left to go instead of relishing in our achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often wonder when I'm going to quit having "fat" thoughts. I'm still surprised when someone refers to me as "thin," as in my mind I'll always see myself as having a weight problem. I guess the weight problem might not be there, but the weight issues most definitely are.

    ReplyDelete